Saturday, June 07, 2014

Goodbye Sitemeter

I have been using Sitemeter for years to provide a simple visit counter and reports for some of my web sites.  Recently, I noticed that sometimes my Ithicos site was loading slowly sometimes and the browser was going to a lot of sites that I *know* I don't have links to.

This includes:
adjuggler.net
demdex.net
neac.com
scorecardresearch.com
vindicosuite.com
ads.yahoo.com

Apparently, Sitemeter has been bought by the same ad-ware intensive company that bought MySpace.  And, now the script that you embed on your web site for the Sitemeter is also going out and establishing connections and setting cookies for all of these other sites.

I not only found it is setting this cookies and establishing these connections, but it is also REDIRECTING my site to an "ad" page and my site visitor has to click "Return to Original Site" link.

Goodbye Sitemeter!



8 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger caheidelberger said...

Thanks for posting on this topic. I found the same x.vindicosuite.com links and lags coming up and took the same action of deleting Sitemeter from my blog.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger wirecutter said...

Ran into the same thing with my site, knuckledraggin.com. I had installed sitemeter when I first started it but then decided not to use it. However, I had left the code in there and the other day I started getting an ad page that prevented me and most of my readers from viewing the site.
I deleted the code out and took care of that real quick.
Thanks for the confirmation.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

thank you !

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this entry. I had the same problem, but only realized it today. I feel dumb now. http://siderite.blogspot.com/2015/03/goodbye-sitemeter-too.html

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Azulnauta said...

Its hard to believe sitemeter is doing this to us!

I use it since 2006 and was my favourite tracking service, now our relationship is over :\

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, I have said goodbye to sitemeter too.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Mariana M. said...

Hi and thank you for the heads up about this. I was looking for a solution because it was really bothering me and I thought it had something to do with my host. Kudos from Brazil.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Andy McMaster said...

I've just encountered this too. It was stopping the image viewer loading on my Wordpress blog. Very annoying... Fixed now...

A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home